September 21, 2023 Agenda
NOTICE AND AGENDA
Fair Political Practices Commission
1102 Q Street, Suite 3050
Sacramento, CA 95811
Thursday, September 21, 2023
Under Government Code section 11123(a), all meetings of a state body are open and public, and all persons are permitted to attend any meeting of a state body, except as otherwise provided in that article. The section further states that the portion of the teleconferenced meeting that is required to be open to the public must be audible to the public at the location specified in the notice of the meeting. Members of the public may listen to the meeting by phone by calling (877) 411-9748; access code 723284; or watch the meeting via Webinar at YouTube. To participate in real time, visit http://mediasite.fppc.ca.gov/ or call (877) 411-9748; access code 723284.
Persons who, due to a disability, need assistance in order to participate in this meeting should, prior to the meeting, contact the Commission Assistant at (916) 322-5745 (voice), CommAsst@fppc.ca.gov (e-mail) and ADACoordinator@fppc.ca.gov. TTY/TDD and Speech-to-Speech users may dial 7-1-1 for the California Relay Service to submit comments on an agenda item or to request special accommodations for persons with disabilities.
The Commission may take action on any item listed on this agenda.
Commissioner Wood will be attending this meeting via teleconference from the following address:
699 Exposition Blvd, Room 434,
Los Angeles, CA 90089.
Richard C. Miadich, Chair
1. Public Comment
1. Public Comment for Items not on Agenda. During this comment period, any person is invited to speak on any topic that is not listed on this agenda. Action may not be taken on any matter raised during this public comment period until the matter is specifically listed on a future agenda. Those who wish to comment on an item that has been listed on this agenda may comment when that item has been opened for consideration by the Commission and before any action is taken.
2. Approval of Commission Minutes
2. Approval of August 2023 Commission Hearing Minutes.
3 - 4. Consent Calendar
Mass Mailing Sent at Public Expense
3. In the Matter of Compton Community College District; FPPC No. 22/795. Staff: Artin Berjikly, Senior Commission Counsel and Paul Rasey, Special Investigator. The respondent is represented by Joshua E. Morrison of Atkinson, Andelson, Loya, Ruud & Romo. On or about October 19, 2022, Compton Community College District paid for, and distributed a newsletter to over 33,000 district residents featuring photographs, names and titles of five elected District Board of Trustee members, three of which were on the ballot for the November 8, 2022 General Election, in violation of Government Code Sections 89001 and 89002 (1 count). Total Proposed Penalty: $4,000.
Default Proceedings Requesting Commission Action
4. In the Matter of Jose Pech; FPPC No. 19/1407. Staff: Jenna C. Rinehart, Commission Counsel and George Aradi, Special Investigator. Jose Pech, a former Housing Inspector for the City of Oxnard Housing Authority, participated in governmental decisions by inspecting and evaluating rental properties that had a reasonably foreseeable material financial effect on Pech’s source of income financial interest, in violation of Government Code Section 87100 (2 counts). Additionally, Pech failed to timely file a Leaving Office Statement of Economic Interests, in violation of Government Code Section 87300 (1 count). Total Proposed Penalty: $14,000.
5-9. General Items
5. FPPC/Community College Video Project. FPPC student-produced video “Form 700” with appreciation to Liz (Elizabeth) Baker, from City College of San Francisco, Broadcasting Electronic Media Arts Department.
6. Prenotice Discussion of Proposed Amendment to Regulation 18202, Definitions. Quasi-Legislative Administrative Action. Staff: Valerie Nuding, Commission Counsel. Staff presents proposed amendment to Regulation 18202 to clarify that actions taken by the California Citizens Redistricting Commission are quasi-legislative administrative actions and therefore subject to lobbying rules under the Act. The proposed regulation is presented for discussion and direction by the Commission and will be presented for adoption at a subsequent meeting.
7. Legislative Update. Staff: Lindsey Nakano, Senior FPPC Legislative Counsel. The Commission will review and discuss potential sponsored and other legislation. The Commission will provide direction on future legislation to be sought by the agency.
8. Executive Staff Reports.
Enforcement Division. James M. Lindsay, Chief.
Audits and Assistance Division. Shrdha Shah, Chief.
Legal Division. David Bainbridge, General Counsel.
Administration and Technology Division. Loressa Hon, Chief.
Executive Director Update. Galena West, Executive Director.
9. Commissioner Comments and Proposed Future Agenda Items.
Note: Although any Commissioner may identify a topic of interest, the Commission may not substantially discuss or take action on any matter raised during the meeting that is not included on this agenda, except to decide to place the matter on the agenda of a future meeting. (Government Code Sections 11125 & 11125.7(a).)
You can obtain further information about the meeting by contacting the Commission Assistant, 1102 Q Street, Suite 3050, Sacramento, CA, 95811, Tel. (916) 322-5745. Written comments on agenda items should be submitted to the Commission no later than 12:00 p.m. the day before the meeting in order to afford the Commissioners adequate time to fully consider the comments. Email comment letters directly to CommAsst@fppc.ca.gov. To participate in real time, visit http://mediasite.fppc.ca.gov/.
The agenda and related documents are posted on the FPPC website at www.fppc.ca.gov. Materials submitted by the public regarding each agenda item will be made available on the website. The Commission makes every attempt to post ADA compliant documents. If there is a document that is not compliant, please email the Commission Assistant requesting an ADA compliant version.
Members of the public may listen to the meeting by phone by calling (877) 411-9748; access code 723284; or watch the meeting via Webinar at YouTube.
The meeting location is accessible to the disabled. Persons who, due to a disability, need assistance in order to participate in this meeting should, prior to the meeting, contact the Commission Assistant at (916) 322-5745 (voice), CommAsst@fppc.ca.gov (e-mail) and ADACoordinator@fppc.ca.gov. TTY/TDD and Speech-to-Speech users may dial 7-1-1 for the California Relay Service to submit comments on an agenda item or to request special accommodations for persons with disabilities. Please allow three business days between the request and the meeting date.