Additional Instructions for Schedule A-2, Investments, Income, and Assets of Business Entities/Trusts
FPPC Form 700 (2018/2019)
FPPC Toll-Free Helpline: 1 (866) ASK-FPPC - (866) 275-3772
Instructions - Page 11
Use Schedule A-2 to report investments in a business entity (including a consulting business or other independent contracting business) or trust (including a living trust) in which you, your spouse or registered domestic partner, and your dependent children together or separately had a 10% or greater interest, totaling $2,000 or more, during the reporting period and which is located in, doing business in, planning to do business in, or which has done business during the previous two years in your agency's jurisdiction. See Reference Pamphlet. A trust located outside your agency's jurisdiction is reportable if it holds assets that are located in or doing business in the jurisdiction. Do not report a trust that contains non-reportable interests. For example, a trust containing only your personal residence not used in whole or in part as a business, your savings account, and some municipal bonds, is not reportable.
Also report on Schedule A-2 investments and real property held by that entity or trust if your pro rata share of the investment or real property interest was $2,000 or more during the reporting period.
To Complete Schedule A-2:
Disclose the name and address of the business entity or trust. If you are reporting an interest in a business entity, check "Business Entity" and complete the box as follows:
- Provide a general description of the business activity of the entity.
- Check the box indicating the highest fair market value of your investment during the reporting period.
- If you initially acquired or entirely disposed of this interest during the reporting period, enter the date acquired or disposed.
- Identify the nature of your investment.
- Disclose the job title or business position you held with the entity, if any (i.e., if you were a director, officer, partner, trustee, employee, or held any position of management). A business position held by your spouse is not reportable.
Check the box indicating your pro rata share of the gross income received by the business entity or trust. This amount includes your pro rata share of the gross income from the business entity or trust, as well as your community property interest in your spouse's or registered domestic partner's share. Gross income is the total amount of income before deducting expenses, losses, or taxes.
Disclose the name of each source of income that is located in, doing business in, planning to do business in, or that has done business during the previous two years in your agency's jurisdiction, as follows:
- Disclose each source of income and outstanding loan to the business entity or trust identified in Part 1 if your pro rata share of the gross income (including your community property interest in your spouse's or registered domestic partner's share) to the business entity or trust from that source was $10,000 or more during the reporting period. See Reference Pamphlet for examples. Income from governmental sources may be reportable if not considered salary. See Regulation 18232. Loans from commercial lending institutions made in the lender's regular course of business on terms available to members of the public without regard to your official status are not reportable.
- Disclose each individual or entity that was a source of commission income of $10,000 or more during the reporting period through the business entity identified in Part 1. See Reference Pamphlet.
You may be required to disclose sources of income located outside your jurisdiction. For example, you may have a client who resides outside your jurisdiction who does business on a regular basis with you. Such a client, if a reportable source of $10,000 or more, must be disclosed.
Mark "None" if you do not have any reportable $10,000 sources of income to disclose. Phrases such as "various clients" or "not disclosing sources pursuant to attorney-client privilege" are not adequate disclosure. See Reference Pamphlet for information on procedures to request an exemption from disclosing privileged information.
Report any investments or interests in real property held or leased by the entity or trust identified in Part 1 if your pro rata share of the interest held was $2,000 or more during the reporting period. Attach additional schedules or use FPPC's Form 700 Excel spreadsheet if needed.
- Check the applicable box identifying the interest held as real property or an investment.
- If investment, provide the name and description of the business entity.
- If real property, report the precise location (e.g., an assessor's parcel number or address).
- Check the box indicating the highest fair market value of your interest in the real property or investment during the reporting period. (Report the fair market value of the portion of your residence claimed as a tax deduction if you are utilizing your residence for business purposes.)
- Identify the nature of your interest.
- Enter the date acquired or disposed only if you initially acquired or entirely disposed of your interest in the property or investment during the reporting period.
[End of SCHEDULE A-2: INVESTMENTS, INCOME AND ASSETS OF BUSINESS ENTITIES/TRUSTS - Instructions - Page 11]