Electronic Complaint System

Complaint: If you suspect someone has violated the Political Reform Act, file a complaint with the FPPC’s Enforcement Division using the Electronic Complaint System. To file, provide the requested information on the complaint below, attach all documents you have containing evidence of the violations using the document uploader, and click submit. You will receive an email confirming receipt of your complaint if you provide a return email address. If you file a sworn complaint, you will receive notifications regarding your complaint.

Attachments: If you are filing an anonymous complaint and are attaching documents, please take a moment to delete any descriptive metadata (information about the author of a document or location a picture was taken that is stored within the document). If you are unfamiliar with this process, please click this link for more information on how to remove it. Remove Metadata from Office Files, PDFs, and ImagesRemove Metadata From Mac Word. Enforcement staff does not redact metadata from documents and complaints and attachments are available for public inspection under the CA Public Records Act.

Referral: Filing officers can submit referrals to the Enforcement Division using the Electronic Complaint System. To refer a matter for prosecution by the Enforcement Division, provide the information requested below, attach the respondent’s most recent statement or report and a copy of your conflict of interest code (if applicable), and click submit. You will receive an email confirming receipt of the referral and notification when the FPPC takes action on the referral.

Disclaimer: The complaint form works best on Google Chrome and we suggest you use this browser to submit the complaint. If you are unable to see the complaint form on your screen, please try clearing cache and cookies from your browser. Close the browser after clearing, open a new window, and start again. We are working to resolve this issue. 

If you have questions or problems submitting your complaint or referral, please email complaint@fppc.ca.gov and we will assist you.


How to File a Complaint

Anyone who suspects a violation of the Act should file a sworn complaint with the Enforcement Division.

Helpful Tips

  • Please enter only one phone number into the phone number field(s). Please enter the phone number with only the digits, no extensions (e.g., 1234567890). If you have additional phone numbers or contact info, please input that information into the notes section at the end of the form. 
  • Please rename files to be 80 characters or less for them to successfully upload to the complaint form.
  • Please make sure to click upload after selecting your file to be included as evidence with the files section.